Movieman49

Bringing you movie reviews, scripts, and everything else that has to do with Film and Television!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Jackie Brown.

So I just finished watching Jackie Brown for the first time. Let me start off by saying I have great respect for Tarantino because he knows how to create characters. He can truly bring them to life. Now this was based off a book I believe so he didn't have to really mold them as much as he did for say Pulp Fiction, but you could still see his style throughout the entire movie.

My thoughts, eh. It was good, I liked. But like with most of his movies it begins to drag in act 2. I got interested in act 3 when everything was playing out but like I said in act 2 it dragged for me.

In my opinion Quentin Tarantino does one thing extremely well, he writes scenes. Unlike us other screenwriters, he doesn't follow the conventional way of writing a scene. Most scenes as we're told in school or classes, should go no longer than 2 pages unless it is filled with emotion.

The opening of Reservoir Dogs was roughly seven pages. Now some will argue that this was to introduce all the characters for the story, but the way I see it, it was just another example of how he writes his scenes. If you watch the rest of Reservoir Dogs and you hadn't had the intro, you'd still begin to understand where each character was coming from, because we see their action, we hear their dialogue. I don't know what others think, but in my opinion Tarantino knows how to write a scene that is nothing more than brilliant, while breaking all the rules along the way. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment