Movieman49

Bringing you movie reviews, scripts, and everything else that has to do with Film and Television!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

SCRIPT REVIEW: True Romance




(SPOILERS)

First off I can't wait to see this movie. From everyone I've talked to who have seen it, say it is a must see. So I decided to read the script to see what all the hype was about.

OMG! This script was so cool! I loved it for several reasons, but mainly because of the fact that they we both truly in love so much! In the end neither could live without each other.

Now as for action, there wasn't as much as I would have liked to read. I loved the ending how it was just an overall blood bath, and how all the characters were put into the one situation with each other. If you haven't guessed yet, I love movies that intertwine several story lines and or characters.

As for the Quentin Tarantino writing style, it wasn't too bad for me in this one. Now I know that in past reads I've had of his, I began to get bored because of bulks of dialogue, or not enough action, but I truly felt like this one held my interest great.

As for character development, I felt like after it was established that Clarence and Alabama were in love with each other, he truly stressed this point to the extreme. By the end of the script we knew that neither one was about to leave the other. If they had to, they'd die for one another.

I remember seeing an interview with Tarantino just last week where he discussed this script. You can check out the interview on Go Into The Story. But he was talking about how he was a late bloomer for dating and didn't have a girlfriend till he was 25. He wrote this script or at least the concept while he was still working as a video store clerk.

He said he wrote it because at the time he would have loved to have a girlfriend like Alabama. Someone who loved you for everything you were and had all the same interests you had. And that's why this script works so well! Writers are always being told, write something that means something to you, that you feel for. I believe this script is a perfect example of that.

Clarence from the very beginning is willing to risk his life for this woman who he just met and had sex with. Alabama is ready to risk her life for Clarence when Virgil comes to the hotel to get back the cocaine. Throughout the entire script, one thing laid the foundation for everything else that tok place, and that was the love those two had for one another.

I think deep down this is something that all human beings want, whether they'd like to admit it or not. We all want someone who will be there for us no matter what, risk all they have, and in the end love us for who we are. This is why this script and movie are so big. They resonates with each and every one of us and that's what it takes to write a successful script.

SCRIPT RATING:
**** 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment