Movieman49

Bringing you movie reviews, scripts, and everything else that has to do with Film and Television!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Movie and Script Reviews.

I had originally made this blog to talk with writers and discuss movies and scripts. I feel though instead of discussing scripts I've just been posting them (with the exception of American Beauty). So I'm going to start from the beginning and start with the first script I posted, Edge of Darkness.


The link above should take you to the script. Now to get into my review.

Edge of Darkness Review:
I read this script probably two weeks ago or so right before the movie came out. I've got to say, I was pretty excited to read it. The second I got it and I began to blaze through it.

The opening was ok for me. Nothing too special. I liked how they set up the character for 15 pages or so because it helps to give us the reader a sense of understand so we can see how far he progresses through is journey.

I did feel however that they could have hooked us a little better by page 5. That's what us writers are always told, if you don't have them by page 5 or so, you've got problems. But I kept with it because judging by the previews and William Monahan being one of the writers, I knew it had to be badass.

So we're at the part when his daughter is killed and I keep reading, just waiting for him to snap and go crazy. That unfortanety never came. Instead of running out and killing everybody who was involved with the case, he takes the slow steady approach to try and gather the pieces.

So now that I realize what this script is becoming, I keep on reading to see when Craven turns into the all out killer that we want.

He spends the next sixty pages or so of gather evidence, trying to connect the dots, and persuade people to help him. Now by this point I was thinking to myself, God who cares! They killed your daughter, go kill them! But sadly he doesn't. He drags out the research and looking for clues for the next fifteen pages or so.

So right as I'm about to say screw it, the action comes. Craven kicks ass against all odds.

So the idea for the script was great, the execution however I did not like. I personally would have gone with Craven becoming a badass right from when his daughter is killed, but then again I'm not an Academy Award Winning screenwriter.

So for me I'm giving it a three, only because it took way too long for any action, in my opinion. Now before people crucify me for saying this let me state that I have not seen the movie yet. From what I've heard, they did a lot of reshoots to try and turn the pick into more of an action movie. But judging by the script, it's far from that.

*** 3 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment